Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Que C'est Triste Venice

After "Walk Tall", here is a new cover (this time is not a jazz one), "Que C'est Triste Venice", by the great french singer Charles Aznavour. This song has been recorded in spanish (Venecia Sin Ti), english (How Sad Venise Can Be), Italian(Com'e Triste Venezia), and maybe even in other less common languages, but the original lyrics and the way they sound make the french version the best one so far.

This song means so much to me and bring me such nice memories that it was wonderful to record it. Sometimes songs contain much more than just music, and playing them is then an amazing experience. This was, no doubt, one of those times.

About the music itself and how I have recorded it, there is a remarkable difference in the harmony of my recording and Aznavour's one: the original song modulates in each repetition, changing the tonal center from G to G# and finally to A, but I have played it all the time in G Major, with no modulation at all. The main reason for this is that I repeat the main structure a few more times to include the solo and I felt that it was not a good idea neither to modulate so many times nor to do it only outside the solo part. Those modulations have a rather dramatic effect on the song, which is of course lost, but I think that the dry sound of the guitar retains the nostalgic and tragic atmosphere of the original version, somehow compensating for it. I though about adding more guitars, but quickly understood that there was no better way of recording this than just with two of them. Sometimes less is more.

You can download the song here. Listen and enjoy, this is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. And, of course, if you haven't listened to the original one, just go and get it. I'm sure you'll love it. Even better, go and get some other Aznavour's songs. "Plus bleu que tes yeux" (originally composed by Aznavour for Edith Piaf but later recorded by himself) and "J'en deduis que je t'aime" are two of my favorite ones.

No comments: