Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Naming my instruments.

Until now it had been quite easy to pick a name for all my instruments. Following a rather uncomprehensible and self-imposed tradition, I always use names containing letter "l", simply because I found its sound really musical, and I never had any problem with that. I chose "Layla" for my Strat, since it looks more or less like Clapton's classical Blackie, and "Ella" for my acoustic Ovation, mainly for it's sensual and deep sound, and because it is by far the most feminine of my axes (and I cannot imagine something more sensually feminine than Ella singing ). The name of my spanish guitar could not be but "Paula", while my hollow-body jazz Epiphone is called "Svela", this last one without a real reason. It simply came to me the first time I played it, and now I cannot imagine it with a different name.

Last, but not least, Oliver Nelson being my favorite sax player (have you seen the name of this blog???), and being also an alto player, my horn is called, needless to say, "Oliver". But since I started playing clarinet, no matter how hard I try, I cannot find a suitable name, not even one without "l" for it. Impossible. Simply impossible. After being a bit annoyed for playing an unnamed instrument during the last days, I have decided to leave it like that, assumming that some instruments are better left without any appellative.

However, that has made me think about how easy it is to choose a name for a guitar, and how guitarists usually put a name to their guitars, while other players don't. Everyone knows that B.B. King's guitar is called "Lucille" (by the way, three l's on that name, no doubt it must be a great axe!), or that Satriani has a huge set of guitars with such names as "The Snake", "Pink Donnie" or "Mohog", but ¿how did Coleman called his plastic Grafton? ¿Did Mingus had a name for his bass? Somehow, guitars are different. Or maybe guitarists are different. Who knows...

No comments: